The word DARAGA (with accent on the last
syllable) according to legend, refers to a kind of tree which grew in
abundance especially on the top of a hill where now stands its famous
The tern Daraga, means maiden. During the
12th century, most of the migrants are traders and settlers. When the
Spaniards came headed by Juan Salcedo, they name the village Budiao, then
giving birth to Cagsawa. In 1857, evangelization of the place and
improvements were undertaken by the Franciscan missionaries. In 1595,
Cagsawa was raised to the category of a "visita", but attached to the town
of Camalig. Father Alfonso de Jadraque was the first parish priest of
Cagsawa. One June 12, 1872 the Spanish Governor General Simon de Anda
transferred Cagsawa to a new settlement once called Salcedo and later
renamed Daraga. In 1815, a government for the town was formally organized
with Venancio Espiritu Salomon as first appointed captain. Under the
Becerra Law of 1892, Darga became a district of Legazpi City. In 1922,
Daraga regained her autonomy as ordered by the Philippine Assembly. On
December 15, 1948 under Republic Act 306.
Daraga was again incorporated to Legazpi
City t become a district. On June 8, 1954, R.A. 993 was passed creating
the Municipality of Daraga. In 1959, the name Daraga was changed to Locsin.
On June 17, 1967, under R.A. 4994 Daraga was restored her name. In 1973
under PD 125 Daraga was declared a district of the City of Legazpi but
this was yet to be implemented.